Essential oils have been around and used for centuries, but have gained more popularity in the past 10 years as the concern for toxic chemicals in everyday products has grown (rightfully so). My family has personally been using essential oils for over seven years now. One of the biggest pushbacks I hear from young moms like myself is “they’re so expensive.” I had that thought in the beginning too, and was hesitant to try something I wasn’t completely sure would work, but after being at my wits end for months, I thought, “It’s worth a shot. What’s the worst that could happen?” These little bottles of the purest plant material has changed so many things for us physically, emotionally, and yes, even financially, that we’ve never looked back. It was one of the best decisions we’ve made!
Why Essential Oils Are Budget-Friendly
Before I give you this amazing list of oils under $20, there’s a couple of things you need to understand. One, cheaper does not equal better. Everything I am giving you here is information for Young Living essential oils. Before switching to Young Living, I was doing what I imagine many of you are: buying “cheaper” oils at grocery or natural food stores. I can tell you after using both, the effectiveness of the essential oil is going to depend on the quality. The FDA does not regulate essential oils, therefore unless you know exactly how they are planted, treated, distilled, bottled, and tested, a company can put anything they want in there. If it’s got at least 5% essential oil, they can slap it with fancy words that sound good, but the bottle is filled with synthetic chemicals. If the plants have been treated with any pesticides, guess what is ending up in your oil? If it is distilled at the wrong temperature or in the wrong way, it effects the chemistry of the plant. I could go on, but basically what I’m saying is, you have to know and trust the source. If you are trying to stay away from toxic chemicals, you can defeat the purpose by buying those “cheaper oils.”
Secondly (and on the brighter side of things), essential oils are already budget-friendly because there are so many uses for each one! I like to call them “nature’s multi-taskers.” You have to remember that the point of using natural health methods like essential oils is to be preventative. You should be using them to support your body in some way each day, as well as “ditching and switching.” Using essential oils has helped me replace many products with toxic chemicals in them. I’m not buying more, because I stopped getting the junk from Target and replaced it with essential oils. Instead of buying one product that only does one thing, my bottle of Lavender essential oil has at least 60 uses. Make sense?
31 Essential Oils Under $20
If you are concerned about price, let me just show you that even if you are on a tight budget, there are still plenty of options for you! This would be the longest blog ever if I actually gave you all of the uses for every single one of these oils. I decided the best thing to do was break this down into different categories of primary usage, give a general overview for said category, then my top 3 uses for each one. I placed prices there for you as well, but please note that these are wholesale prices. Meaning, if you become a Young Living member, you get a 24% discount (think like a Costco membership). You can buy these at retail pricing, but that is not what is reflected here (membership is a much better deal). I hope this shows you that you can indeed use essential oils on a budget!
Citrus Oils Under $20
Citrus oils are some of the most inexpensive oils, and also some of the most used in our home! Though several of the citrus oils have similar properties, because they each come from different fruits, they are also not going to be exactly the same! You’ll see throughout the blog “vitality” for some oils. Lemon & Lemon Vitality are the exact same oil, the only difference is the usage on the label. Lemon is labeled for topical and aromatic use, Lemon Vitality is labeled for ingesting. Here’s a quick run down on citrus oils.
- They are cold pressed from the rind, therefore these oils are not acidic like the juice of the plant.
- Citrus oils are high in limonene or d-limonene (dive into chemistry a little and look that up).
- Amazing cleansers, both internally and externally.
Lemon & Lemon Vitality: $12.00 (15 ml)/ $6.50 (5ml)
- One of my favorites to use for cleaning! Use this like a natural “goo-gone” (mamas, this gets out so much stuff our sweet kiddos leave behind), put a couple drops in for a DIY shower/bathtub scrub, get out stains with a DIY stain remover, there’s so many possibilities!
- My favorite thing is starting my day off with a 2-3 drops of Lemon Vitality in a glass of water while I wait for my coffee to brew. This is a great internal cleanser that helps jump start several systems of the body and start my digestive system off right.
- Needing some throat support? Add a couple of drops in a cup of tea (keep reading for my go-to “Thieves Tea” recipe-lemon is in there too!
Lime & Lime Vitality: $13.00 (15ml)/ $6.00 (5ml)
- This oil is my favorite for summer time! Put this in your diffuser with some Peppermint, Spearmint, or Stress Away. You’ll feel like you are on the beach, plus lime is great for focus!
- I love adding Lime Vitality to my daily Ningxia Red in the summer. 2-3 drops of Lime, ice, 2 oz of Ningxia red, top it with my favorite sparkling water-SO refreshing!
- Using lime in a recipe? Add a few drops of lime oil instead or in addition to lime juice! I love adding this to guacamole, dips, and juices. Lime is great for lymphatic circulation in the body, and if I need a boost of energy and clarity, this is my go-to citrus oil for that!
Orange & Orange Vitality: $11.50 (15ml / $6.25 (5ml)
- I have never met anyone who didn’t smell Orange straight from the bottle and didn’t fall in love with it. Orange is one of my favorites to put in the diffuser all year long, because it brings such warmth and happiness. Literally it is THE happiness oil, so when you are struggling, having an off day, or feeling down, grab your Orange.
- In the fall especially, I love putting drops of Orange in my Ningxia Red, but also love using it in spiced cider recipes or even to swirl in to a yummy chocolate dish! Orange is especially great if you struggle with bloating or other digestive issues, so it’s another good one to add to water or a soothing tea.
- Orange is actually great to help brighten the skin! Add it to a DIY face wash, especially if your skin tends to get oily.
Tangerine & Tangerine Vitality: $17.25 (15ml)/ $8.00 (5ml)
- Tangerine can have a calming effect on the body/nervous system. Try putting this in the diffuser with a spice oil like Majoram, Thyme, Clove, or Cinnamon Bark. If you are prone to irritability, this is a great one to help work through that emotion.
- This is wonderful for the skin. One of my favorite tricks with Tangerine is using it like a cuticle cream in the winter when my skin tends to get dry! Combine it with Lavender to help tighten skin wherever you need it.
- Like many citrus oils, it is a great cleanser to the body, and Tangerine in particular is good to support the liver. Add it to your water, tea, or apply topically right over the liver.
Grapefruit & Grapefruit Vitality: $18.00 (15ml)/ $8.00 (5ml)
- Another favorite “summer time” oil. Grapefruit oil has a lightness to it that is uplifting yet calming. I love putting this in the diffuser with “sharper” citrus oils like Lime or Lemon, but it pairs beautifully with warmer oils like Rosemary as well. Purifies the air in your home and just creates an overall sweet setting.
- This citrus oil is especially great if you are looking for some help/support with your appetite! It can help curb cravings, especially when combined with Peppermint. I love putting this in my water throughout the summer-I tend to drink more and stay more hydrated and I’m less tempted to grab my achilles hill….sweets.
- Mamas, especially those of you who just gave birth, this oil is wonderful for those swinging hormones. Put it in a roller bottle with some Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Joy, Lavender, and apply often.
Citrus Fresh & Citrus Fresh Vitality: $16.50 (15ml)/ $7.75 (5ml)
- The lone blend on this list, but a favorite. Citrus Fresh is like sunshine in a bottle. It is a blend of Orange, Tangerine, Mandarin, Grapefruit, Lemon, & Spearmint. This is one I love putting in the diffuser when I need some motivation to get. stuff. done! It is uplifting, empowering, and has so many properties that help purify and rid the air of unwanted things.
- I have found that kids are most drawn to citrus oils, and Citrus Fresh is one of my son’s favorites. He cannot stop opening the cap and smelling the bottle, and bonus…even though this smells very energizing, it’s actually great to calm the mind when you need a good night’s sleep. Try putting this on your kiddos feet before bed time. And if you’re a homeschooling mama like me, this is great one to diffuse during school time.
- I’m a Texas girl (#texasforever) and down here we love our iced tea. Citrus Fresh Vitality is my favorite to put in my ice tea-I actually prefer it now to acidic lemon slices!
Essential Oils Under $20 For Immune System Support
The best way to support your immune system is to “feed it” the good things daily. Kicking out chemicals that cause toxicity in the body is a huge step in the right direction, and I will tell you that essential oils changed the game for me when it came to my immune system. One of the reasons I was willing to give it a try is nothing else I seemed to be doing was working. I used to teach kid’s fitness, and would teach hundreds of kids in multiple daycare settings per week. Believe me…I needed some immune system support. There are so many great ones you can use, but considering our theme of oils under $20, these are some of my favorites.
Thieves Vitality: $15.25 (5ml)
- Thieves is probably the most well-known and popular Young Living blend, and rightfully so. There’s an entire line of non-toxic cleaning products I’m obsessed with, as well as we’ve replaced so many over the counter products with Thieves products instead. Thieves is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, & Rosemary. I’ll let you look those up so you can see individually how powerful they are, putting them together makes them even more so.
- I’m going to give you my go-to recipe anytime I need some immune system boosting and wellness support. I call it “Thieves Tea” and you can thank me later, ok? 3 drops of Thieves Vitality, 3 drops of Lemon Vitality, 3 drops of Copaiba Vitality, 2 tbsp of raw honey (local if you can get it is best), 2 tsp of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, hot water. Bring your hot water to a boil, and in the bottom of a mug add the oils, then honey and vinegar. Pour hot water over, stir to mix, and sip. It is so soothing, gives all kinds of powerful support, and you can drink this as often as you need.
- Grab an empty vegetable capsule and put 2-4 drops of Thieves Vitality with a little coconut or olive oil. Take daily or whenever you are needing some immune boosting!
Clove & Clove Vitality: $16.50 (15ml) $7.75 (5ml)
- As you saw, Clove is one of the oils in the blend of Thieves. Clove is the highest antioxidant oil there is, and you need antioxidants to have a healthy immune system! The warmth of this oil is emotionally soothing and grounding, plus it’s also great for your respiratory system. Put this in the diffuser with Orange oil, and definitely don’t be without this one in the fall! I always have it on hand in addition to Thieves, as I use it on its own, but it is also my back-up should I run out of Thieves.
- Add a couple of drops to 2 oz on Ningxia Red for an immune boosting power shot!
- Place 2-3 drops on your feet before bed, put on your favorite warm, fuzzy socks, and dream for the night.
Oregano Vitality: $12.50 (5ml)
- Oregano oil has some incredible properties to it, and I would encourage you to look it up! A heads up, this is not an oil I would recommend on kiddos under 6 as it is really hot. You do you, but I think there gentler options that are still powerful for kids. For adults however, highly recommend having this one on hand.
- Grab an empty vegetable capsule, and when you are needing to some extra support, put 2-3 drops of Oregano with 1 drop of Thieves and 1 drop of Frankincense. Top it with coconut or olive oil, and take as needed.
- You’ll find Oregano in one of our favorite products my husband and I always have on hand in the winter season, Inner Defense.
Longevity Vitality: $16.50 (5ml)
- Longevity is a blend of Thyme, Orange, Clove, and Frankincense, making it a powerful way to boost your antioxidants!
- This is a great preventative to put in that empty vegetable capsule I keep talking about, and bonus…it’s also great to age well 🙂 I actually use Longevity on my skin in this DIY toner.
- In addition if you need some cardiovascular support, this is a great blend for that.
EssEntial oils under $20 For The Hormones
Listen ladies, the hormones are a puzzle I know. Let me tell you something though, when you find the best, natural ways to support them, it will change you for life. So many issues I was having I found were tied to more hormones, and when I started creating a regimen in order to support them, I saw other issues (particularly with emotions) level out. The following is not near an exhaustive list to naturally support your hormones, but under $20, these few are powerful tools.
Endoflex Vitality: $13.25 (5ml)
- Endoflex is a blend of Spearmint, Sage, Geranium, Myrtle, Nutmeg, & German Chamomile. This blend was created specifically to support the thyroid, adrenals, and endocrine system overall. I personally use this every single day to support my thyroid, and it has been a HUGE help.
- Place 2-3 drops under your tongue for a few seconds and swallow. I do this at the beginning of my day. Your body being different, you may need to do it more than once! If putting it directly under your tongue like that is too much for you, do the vegetable capsule trick.
Nutmeg Vitality: $13.75 (5ml)
- If you struggle with your energy levels, it could be because you need some support for those adrenal glands. Nutmeg is the top oil I would recommend for that, as the properties of this oil mimics an adrenal cortex.
- I personally use Nutmeg as my “afternoon pick-me-up” when my energy tends to diminish the most. My afternoon routine is 2 drops of Nutmeg with 2 drops of whatever citrus oil I’m in the mood for that day, with 2 oz of Ningxia red and sparkling water.
Sage Vitality: $13.25 (5ml)
- If you are needing some estrogen and progesterone-testosterone balance, Sage oil should be your friend. For me, the time around my cycle has always been a struggle since I was a teen. I use Sage around my cycle and not only does it help to alleviate some menstrual difficulties, it has also helped even out my mood during that lovely time of the month.
- This oil is really strong, so I recommend the vegetable capsule trick.
Sclaressence Vitality: $16.50 (5ml)
- Sclaressence is a blend of Clary Sage, Peppermint, Sage Lavender (different plant from the Sage mentioned above, but same family), and Fennel. This blend was created to help increase testosterone levels, balance the body’s pH system, and help ease digestion-especially when connected to hormones.
- If you are like me and tend to struggle with bloating and the like around your cycle, I highly recommend this blend. When I take Endoflex in the morning under my tongue, I follow it with Sclaressence and do it the same way. You can take this daily or as needed.
Bergamot Vitality: $13.50 (5ml)
- Bergamot is technically a citrus oil, but I had to put it here because I love using it for hormone support! Irritability is a major problem for me around my cycle, and Bergamot has really helped with that.
- This is one I like to put with my Nutmeg in my Ningxia Red, or if you like Earl Grey tea…you’re tasting bergamot! It’s very soothing to me, so I love adding a couple of drops in my earl grey tea at night.
Essential Oils Under $20 For Digestive Support
Even if you have a perfect diet (no one does, not even the healthiest person ever), everyone could use some digestive support. These are ones we always have on hand, and a couple of these I am never without. I travel with them and keep them in my bag with me because you never know when something might hit, or you know you are going to be treating yourself!
Peppermint Vitality: $10.75 (5ml)
- This by far is my favorite and go-to for digestion. When something isn’t sitting well, I grab Peppermint. When I know I’m going to be eating things I don’t normally eat, I grab Peppermint. When I’m feeling queasy, I grab Peppermint. This bottle is with me at all times, and has traveled with me overseas!
- If you can handle it, you can simply place 1-2 drops of Peppermint under your tongue and swallow. If not, do the capsule trick, and this one combined with Digize is like a 1-2 punch!
DiGize Vitality: $14.50 (5ml)
- DiGize is a blend of Tarragon, Ginger, Peppermint, Juniper, Fennel, Lemongrass, Anise, & Patchouli. I’ll be real, this oil smells terrible. But it is extremely effective and like Peppermint, I am never without it.
- This blend is especially great if you ate something that is making you feel bad, if you are bloated/constipated, or mamas…if you are dealing with a little morning sickness. If you have littles, this diluted is a great thing to put on their little tummies. I pretty much only take this blend in capsule form, but you do you.
Ginger & Ginger Vitality: $14.00 (5ml)
- Ginger is known for its soothing properties for the digestive system. I tend to grab Ginger when I’m fighting some inflammation as it is highly anti-inflammatory. When I’m feeling nervous and my stomach is upset because of that, Ginger is my go to because it is also soothing emotionally.
- Apply a few drops of Ginger on your stomach, and rub around the navel in the direction the digestive system moves (clockwise). This can be a hot oil, so use a carrier oil as needed.
- Add 2-3 drops of Ginger Vitality to your favorite tea, Ningxia Red, or vegetable capsule.
Spearmint Vitality: $11.50
- Spearmint is similar to Peppermint as they are both in the mint family, but I find Spearmint to be a bit of a gentler option than Peppermint. This one is great to combine with Grapefruit if you are needing help curbing some cravings (why do you think they put Spearmint in gum?). This blend helps relax the stomach and is great if you need to freshen your breath, so it’s a good go-to after a meal.
- Add 1-2 drops with Grapefruit in your water, place 1-2 drops of Spearmint under your tongue, or do the capsule trick!
Essential oils under $20 Respiratory Support
If you struggle with respiratory issues, I highly recommend looking at what you are cleaning with, doing your laundry with, and if you often use candles. Toxic chemicals create indoor air pollution, and using these products everyday, they are emitting in your home and being recycled in your indoor air. Simply ditching candles and switching to diffusers and oils is a great first step with a big impact. All essential oils are helpful to the respiratory system and great air purifiers, but these are wonderful for that targeted support.
Lavender Vitality: $12.50 (5ml)
- Ok, Lavender is like the Swiss Army Knife of oils. I could have put this in every category because it can do so much. Lavender tends to work in the body wherever there is a need, but I put it here because this was a game changer for me to support when the seasons change…especially during the spring.
- The following combo was given to me by a friend, and this combo was what made me a believer not just in essential oils, but Young Living essential oils because I saw the difference in quality, and therefore the effectiveness of them. In a capsule combine 2 drops each of Lavender Vitality, Lemon Vitality, and Peppermint Vitality when you need some seasonal respiratory support.
Rosemary & Rosemary Vitality: $16.75 (15ml)/ $8.00 (5ml)
- Rosemary is one I love to put in the diffuser with other oils like Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Grapefruit, Lime, Bergamot, and Eucalyptus. You saw this oil is in the blend Thieves and for good reason. Rosemary is high in cineol, a compound that is often mimicked synthetically in over the counter chest rubs. It works deep in respiratory system to open up the lungs and bronchial tract. Bonus, it’s also great for memory and focus!
- Rosemary Vitality is a great spice oil that you can swirl into recipes and use in marinades!
RC: $11.00 (5ml)
- RC stands for Respiratory Care, and is a blend of Eucalyptus Globulous, Myrtle, Pine, Marjoram, Eucalyptus Radiata, Eucalyptus Citriodora, Lavender, Cypress, Tsuga, and Peppermint.
- This is one I love putting in the diffuser preventatively at night in the winter season to help keep our noses clear, and this is great for little ones!
- You can make a DIY chest rub with RC and coconut oil, and one of my favorite tricks is putting 2-4 drops of RC in the bottom of a tissues, tape the bottom back up and you’ve got some soothing, fragrance free tissues!
Eucalyptus Radiata: $19.75 (15ml)
- There’s several different kinds of Eucalyptus, but this is probably the most popular and definitely my favorite. Anytime we are needing some sinus support, this one is our go-to in the diffuser, and I especially love it blended with Lavender at night!
Pine: $16.00 (15ml)
- I tried Pine oil for the first time a year ago, and it has become one of my favorites. Not only does it open up the sinuses and lungs, it is an amazing support when you are mentally exhausted. It’s my favorite combined in the diffuser with Christmas Spirit. It is also really purifying and cleansing, so I love adding a few drops of this to my Thieves Household Cleaner!
Purification: $16.50 (5ml)
- Purification is the best to rid of any unwanted smells. It is a blend of Citronella, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Lavandin, & Myrtle. When the air is just stuffy and in need of some cleansing, this is my go-to air purifier.
- Make a DIY room spray to place in bathrooms with Purification, thank me later 🙂
- Place a few drops on cotton balls and place in stinky shoes, car air vents, drawers, or on a wool dryer ball to freshen up laundry toxin-free!
essential oils under $20 For The Emotions
I could spend hours about the many ways essential oils are so effective for supporting your emotions. Truth be told, we use essential oils the most for this very purpose. I could give you so many amazing testimonies, but the main thing you need to know is this: Part of what makes oils so effective for emotional health is because the molecules are so small, they can pass the blood-brain barrier. When you inhale an oil, it goes from your olfactory system straight to the limbic region of the brain, our emotional “command center.” There are some incredible blends in particular we love and utilize often, but these under $20 are a great place to start.
Cedarwood: $12.00 (15ml)
- Outside of the Premium Starter Kit when you become a member (which contains several oils I’ve listed here), Cedarwood is the next oil I recommend getting. It is incredibly grounding, anchoring the body and mind, and a great support for sleep as it helps release melatonin in the body naturally. Diffuser this, place it on your neck or wrists, combine it in a roller with Lavender, there are so many uses for this oil.
Grounding: $19.00 (5ml)
- The fact that this blend is under $20 considering the oils in this is a gift. When I choose a word of the year, I also choose an oil to go along with it, and use it every day. This year Grounding is that oil, and it is an amazing blend with White Fir, Spruce, Ylang Ylang, Pine, Cedarwood, Angelica, and Juniper. This blend was created to calm the body so that the mind can thing logically and reasonably. This past year as my mind has swirled with confusion over the events that took place, Grounding has helped bring me back when I feel myself rising, helping me see reality but with a greater sense of clarity to make sound decisions. I put this in the diffuser often, y dawear it like perfume every day, put some drops in my hand and take some deep breaths when I need to chill.
Envision: $20.00 (5ml)
- If you’re a dreamer, entrepreneur, procrastinator, or just need some clarity in your life of which direction you should go, grab your Envision. This is a blend of Spruce, Geranium, Orange, Lavender, Sage, and ROSE (this is the most expensive oil of all time and has the highest frequency-the fact that it is in this blend at it’s only $20 is huge). When I’m working, goal setting, or coming across some mental blocks when writing, I diffuse or wear Envision and it helps me break-through every time.
Seedlings Calm: $13.25 (5ml)
- Mamas with babies and littles, this one is for YOU! One thing I love about Young Living is it is not just essential oils, it is about holistic wellness for the whole family. Seedlings is the baby line, and this blend was created specifically for the smallest members of the fam. A blend of Lavender, Coriander, Geranium, Bergamot, and Ylang Ylang, already diluted for you in coconut oil so you don’t have to worry. Add this to baby’s bath before bed, place it in a diffuser in their room, put a drop on their little feet, and sweet dreams.
Christmas Spirit: $11.00 (5ml)
- Though yes I use this most at Christmas time, I use it throughout the year in my diffuser because it is such a happy blend that just brings me joy. A blend of Orange, Cinnamon Bark, and Spruce it really does lift your spirit. I love combining this with Stress Away & Vanilla (makes your home smell like Christmas cookies) or Pine for a cozy, comforting feel.
YOU CAN USE ESSENTIAL OILS ON A BUDGET
Whew, I know this was a lot friends, but I am a firm believer that if you are going to do this, you should know what you are doing. If you are ready to take the plunge into essential oils, I would love to support you along the way! My group gets practical emails each week full of tips, recipes, and usages like you see here. I can also give you personal support, direction, and guidance with your specific needs-you won’t be left figuring this out on your own! Grabbing your starter kit is the best way to start, and if you have any questions feel free to reach out. You can do this, and use essential oils on a budget! For some weekly natural health tips, join my email list here. Happy oiling!